I've started a pumpkin patch and so far things are not going well. Starting pumpkins indoors was a success, yet as soon as I transplanted them outside I ran into trouble with the wind.
Timeline so far:
- April 11, 2021: Start seeds indoors
- April 22, 2021: Transplant to 6 inch pots
- May 08, 2021: Transplant to 12 inch pots
- May 16, 2021: Plant outside
Initially, 11 out of 12 seeds sprouted. Then I lost one in the transition to 6 inch pots. Lost 2 more after transitioning to 12 inch pots.
Once planted outside, the wind flipped them around a lot and I've lost all of them except for 2.
My plan is to install wind fencing around the garden and see if that helps the survivors cope with the high wind speeds we get in the area.